My vegetarian daughter just came home from college. I made this meal and she just raved about it. Which is saying something because she is quite picky. It is super easy to make and ready to eat in under 30 minutes. Plus it satisfies the broccoli obsession that I have had lately.
My two boys don’t like “green things” in their food. This was easy enough to accommodate them as well. I made a 20 oz package of tortellini and saved some “plain” pasta for the boys. I also am not big on spicy food so I only used a few flakes of red pepper.
6 cups broccoli florets cut in small pieces
1 (12 oz) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
3 Tbsp butter
½ onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
Pinch of nutmeg
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Steam broccoli until tender and cook tortellini according to package directions. Set aside a ¼ cup of cooking liquid before draining the pasta.
2. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and nutmeg and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Pour in half-and-half and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add Parmesan and turn heat to low. Once the cheese is melted, add tortellini and broccoli, plus cooking liquid. Stir to combine and cook a few minutes until sauce thickens.
6. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional Parmesan.
I paired this with a fruit salad. It is also great as leftovers!
Do you want more pasta recipes? Leave me a comment to let me know!